As the leading global language, English is a remarkably diverse language. In recent years, because of globalization and new technologies such as computers or smartphones this diversity has led to more variety in word usage. One letter that surprised many people when they first learned it was “the Union Flag” (or “Union Jack”)—what exactly is it? What does its shape mean?
The “how to type intersection symbol in word” is a question that many people are asking. The answer is quite simple, you can type the union symbol on your keyboard by pressing the Alt key and typing the letter U.
This article will go through how to make the Union sign in Microsoft Word, Windows, and Mac, as well as how to use keyboard shortcuts.
You may grab this symbol by copying and pasting it from the button below before we start.
Table of Contents
Shortcut for the Union Symbol (MS Word for Windows)
The Union Symbol’s Alt Code shortcut is Alt + 8746. To type using this approach, press and hold one of your keyboard’s Alt keys while entering the Alt code on the numeric keypad, then release the Alt key.
This approach only works in Microsoft Word on Windows, and it needs a separate numeric keypad with Num Lock activated on your keyboard.
Alt codes are used to enter symbols or characters that aren’t present on the keyboard in Windows.
When attempting to enter unusual characters like Union, this approach is highly useful since it saves a huge amount of time.
The full procedures to enter this symbol on Windows using the Alt Code keyboard shortcut are as follows:
- Open the Word document where you’ll be typing the symbol.
- The cursor should be placed where you want it to be.
- One of your Alt Keys should be pressed and held.
- Use the number keypad on the right to input the Union Alt code while holding down the Alt key (8746)
- After inputting the code, release the alt key.
The Union symbol will emerge as soon as you release the Alt key.
In order for the Union Alt Code to operate, the following requirements must be observed.
- You must hold down the Alt key before inputting the code.
- You must use the numeric keypad on the right side of the keyboard to input the alt code.
- Because you’re utilizing a 10-key numeric keypad, you’ll need to activate NumLock. The number keys become disabled when NumLock is turned off, and you won’t be able to input any numbers.
- If your laptop doesn’t have a numeric keypad, you’ll have to first enable the hidden numeric keypad. On most computers, you can switch it on by simultaneously hitting the Fn + NmLk buttons. Not every laptop has a concealed numeric keypad. You won’t be able to input symbols using the alt code approach unless you attach an external keyboard with a numeric keypad or use the on-screen keyboard if it doesn’t appear in yours. You may still utilize the other ways mentioned in this tutorial.
- You should also be aware that not all symbols can be entered with the alt code, depending on the text editor you’re using. Some of the alt codes are only recognized by Microsoft Word.
On a Mac, type in the symbol for the union.
On a Mac, you may use the Character Viewer to get the Union sign.
On a Mac, the Character Viewer allows you to insert special characters and symbols into text, such as arithmetic symbols, Latin letters, and pictographs.
To put this () or any other symbol on a Mac, follow the instructions below.
- Place your cursor on the text area where the symbol will be inserted.
- Press Control + Command + Space bar to bring up the Character Viewer. Alternatively, choose Edit > Emoji & Symbols.
- In the top search area, type “Union” and hit Enter.
- The insignia should be visible. To incorporate it into your text, just click on it.
These are the procedures for using the Character Viewer on Mac to insert this and any other symbol.
Union Sign Keyboard Shortcut (MS Word)
To type the Union sign in MS Word, press 222A, Alt + X.
To utilize this shortcut, open your Microsoft Word document, place the insertion cursor where you wish to enter the Union symbol, and then just follow the steps below:
- Simply put 222A into the search box.
- Then hit Alt + X at the same time.
- If it still doesn’t work, highlight the code and hit the Alt and X keys at the same time.
The symbol shows in place of the Unicode when you press Alt + X after entering it.
Use the Office Symbol Library to insert the Union Symbol.
If using the keyboard isn’t your thing, you can also acquire the Union sign in Office products like Word, Excel, or PowerPoint by using the mouse.
We’ll use screenshots of Microsoft Word to demonstrate the processes. In Excel and PowerPoint, though, you may apply the same way.
Here are the measures to take without further ado:
- Open Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
- Place your cursor where you want it.
- Select the Insert tab from the drop-down menu.
- Select More Symbols from the drop-down menu after clicking the Symbols button in the Symbols group.
After that, the Symbol window will display. It has a billion emblems, one of which is the Union sign.
- In the symbol library, look for the Union symbol.
Use the Subset dropdown option to view various sorts of symbols to quickly discover this symbol. The Union symbol may be found in the Subset list under the Cambria Math typeface in the Mathematical Operators group.
However, typing the Unicode 222A in the Character code text box is the quickest method to acquire this sign. The Union sign will be filtered out and picked after you input the Unicode.
- Simply double-click it to put it into your document. Alternatively, you may use the Insert key.
- The Dialog is now closed.
If you carefully follow the procedures above, you may enter the Union sign or any other symbol or character not found on the keyboard into Word.
Union Symbol (Copy & Paste)
This is by far the most straightforward method of obtaining any symbol, including the Union symbol.
Simply copy the symbol someplace, such as a web page, and then move to the document where you need it and hit Ctrl + V.
You may copy the symbol by clicking on it below.
The instructions below will teach you how to copy this symbol from the Character Map if you have a Windows PC.
- Search for the Character Map app and open it.
- Cambria Math should be selected as the font.
- Select the Advance View checkbox beside the button to see additional Character map possibilities.
- A search box may be found in the Advanced view. Press Enter after typing Union.
- In the search results, the symbol will display.
- Simply pick it in the Characters to copy text box with a double click and then press the Copy button.
It may be difficult to get symbols that do not have keys on the keyboard, such as the Union.
It should no longer be a challenging job with the help of the techniques and directions given here.
Thank you for taking the time to read through our information.
The “how to type union symbol on mac” is a question that has been asked many times. If you want to know how to type the union symbol in word, windows, and mac, then follow this tutorial.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you insert a union symbol in Word?
A: In Microsoft Word, you can use the Insert Symbol command on the main toolbar. You will be prompted to select a symbol from your writing space or one of three preset menus.
How do you type inverted U?
A: This is a typographical error. The correct answer would be u.
How do you type a union and intersection symbol?
- union symbol microsoft word
- how to type intersection symbol on keyboard
- how to type intersection symbol in laptop
- how to type intersection symbol in mobile
- subset symbol in word